Almost all illegal guns coming into Mississauga and Brampton are from the U.S.
Peel Police say 91 per cent of all illegal handguns seized in Mississauga and Brampton this year came from the United States.
In a presentation to the Peel Police Services Board on recent gang arrests, Chief Nishan Duraiappah said the flow of guns into Canada continues.
"We know this has been a topic of discussion in the past," the chief said. "We are seeing assault rifles and fully modified handguns."
Last year Peel Police indicated 74 per cent of guns seized here were from south of the border.
He said many of the guns were seized as part of Project Siphon, a recent case that led to 88 arrests and 800 criminal charges. Thirty-four guns were recovered as part of this operation.
Project Siphon is considered to be the largest criminal investigation case in the police department's history, but Deputy Chief Nick Milinovich said it was not a typical gang sweep.
Milinovich said with so many gang members now taken off the streets, a void has been created, but new police initiatives are looking at ways to make sure that void is not filled by others.
He said the broader measures being undertaken by the department will create opportunities to engage young people to prevent them from joining the gangster lifestyle.
- Here's How Many Guns Peel Residents Turned into Police Recently
- Seven Mississauga Residents Charged After Guns and Grenades Seized by Police
- Mississauga Man Charged After Guns Seized by Police
- Police Cracking Down on Guns in Mississauga
- Peel Police discuss gang allegedly behind murders and public shootings in Mississauga
- House of the week: Spectacular $4.3 mil Lorne Park home with wine cellar
- Still no answer from feds as 14 flights land at Mississauga's Pearson Airport with COVID-19
- PHOTOS: Over 100 townhouses planned for brand new neighbourhood in Mississauga
- Give AstraZeneca vaccine to residents 18+ in hotspot areas like Mississauga and Brampton: Ontario Liberal leader
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Fight breaks out at gas station in Brampton