All eyes on Ontario teachers: some set for bargaining, others plan more strikes
This week could be a key one in the ongoing and contentious contract talks between Ontario teachers and the government.
Education Minister Stephen Lecce has said the ball is now in the unions' courts after he made concessions on two major issues.
He offered to increase average high school class sizes from 22 last year to 23 next year -- instead of the government's original target of 28 -- and allow an opt-out for e-learning courses the Tories previously said would be mandatory.
Two unions -- representing high school teachers and educators in the French system -- have now suspended strikes for the next few weeks, though the high school teachers say their move is because of March Break.
There may be signs of progress in negotiations with the Ontario English Catholic Teachers' Association, as they were at the bargaining table with the government for three days last week and are set to resume talks today.
But the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario says it will announce its next phase of strike action today.
- Elementary, Catholic teachers resume bargaining with Ontario government
- Ontario elementary school teachers to resume contract talks with province
- Ontario elementary teachers to return to bargaining table this week
- Catholic, French teachers resume talks with Ontario government as strike looms
- Talks resume between Ontario government, Catholic teachers as more strikes loom
- The Keg is opening a brand new restaurant in Mississauga
- Long-standing laser tag facility shuts down in Mississauga
- Peel District schools in Mississauga with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 22
- Report of man with knife prompts hold and secure at school in Mississauga
- Police looking for 15-year-old girl last seen in Mississauga