Ajax Fire warns residents of Victoria Day fireworks injuries, says leave it to the pros in Oshawa, Pickering, Whitby and more

By

Published May 16, 2022 at 12:35 pm

Ajax Fire says it's best to let the pros handle Victoria Day fireworks shows. - Via Town of Ajax

While Canadians are excited to celebrate the birthday of our second longest reigning queen with a bang (and others just happy to have an extra day off), Ajax Fire warns residents they should leave the fire works to the pros.

Fire and Emergency Services advises folk not to light their own fireworks or go to informal shows in the neighbourhood. Instead they say revelers should head to professional events organized Durham Region.


However, Ajacians still have every right to light their own fireworks. If they choose to Ajax Fire says they should appoint a reasonable person to take charge. “Only adults who are aware of the hazards and essential safety precautions should handle and discharge fireworks.”

Nobody likes to read the instructions, but they’re there for a reason. Always make sure to follow fireworks instructions to the letter.

Meanwhile as with any controlled fire, one should always have a hose or bucket of water near by to handle any potential blaze. Make sure the bucket isn’t necessary (though keep it on hand anyway) by igniting fireworks away from buildings, dry grass or trees.

Keep onlookers well back and upwind from the explosive so it blows away from them. If wind are too strong it’s best not to fire at all as they can be blown off course.

Always light fireworks from the ground. Do not hold them to light them. That’s a great way to lose a thumb. To that point, if a firework is a dud, don’t try to relight it. Ajax Fire says to wait a half hour and soak it the aforementioned water bucket. (Told you to keep it on hand.)

Like fireworks, sparklers are also a source of injury and a fire hazard. A sparkler can get as hot as 1200°F/648.9°C, hot enough to melt glass. This can ignite clothing, cause blindness and burn severely. It takes a while for this heat to dissipate so a soak burned out sparklers in the bucket.

“Fireworks are extremely dangerous and should be left to trained professionals. This recommendation is made to minimize the risk of fire and burn injuries that can result from the misuse of fireworks. Please remember that although they are available to be purchased, it doesn’t mean they are safe,” said Ajax Fire Prevention Inspector Shelley Langer.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising