Advocacy group staging protests against new provincial long-term care bill
The Ontario Health Coalition (OHC) is staging protests across the province in relation to a new bill proposed by the Ford government.
Bill 175 would privatize and remove oversight for home and community care, while Bill 161 would make it harder to launch class-action lawsuits against private companies, including for-profit long-term care homes where so many have died during the pandemic.
The OHC has been critical of the Province's handling of long-term care facilities, which have been hit especially hard due to the pandemic.
Currently, several protests are scheduled for cities across Ontario on July 2.
The Ontario Health Coalition will hold a press conference outside Queen’s Park--Main Legislative Building--at 10 a.m. Those in attendance will be expected to adhere to physical distancing guidelines, including wearing face masks--attendees are encouraged to bring signs that highlight key issues.
The Hamilton Health Coalition rally is happening at noon outside MPP Donna Skelly’s office, at 2000 Garth St. Those in attendance will be required to adhere to physical distancing guidelines, and masks will be available for those who need them.
The Peterborough Health Coalition media conference is happening at 11 a.m. at King Edward Park, George Street South. Those planning to attend will meet in the shade and follow physical distancing guidelines, including wearing masks.
The Waterloo Region Health Coalition is holding a sidewalk protest at noon near MPP Amy Fee’s office at 4281 King Street East in Kitchener. Those in attendance will be required to adhere to physical distancing guidelines including wearing face masks--participants are encouraged to bring signs that highlight key issues.
The Oxford Coalition for Social Justice will hold a rally at noon outside MPP Ernie Hardeman’s office at 12 Perry Street, in Woodstock. Those in attendance will be required to adhere to physical distancing guidelines including wearing masks.
Additionally, the Niagara Health Coalition is organizing a press conference for 9:30 a.m. on July 3 outside Garden City Manor, 168 Scott Street in Saint Catharines. Those in attendance will be required to adhere to physical distancing guidelines, including wearing masks.
- Advocacy group staging protests against bill related to long-term care facilities
- Ontario Health Coalition concerned about new Bill proposed by Ford government
- Advocacy group urging province to scrap new health care bill
- Ontario Health Coalition demanding more transparency from province on COVID-19 outbreaks
- Ontario recommends wearing masks on public transit to curb COVID spread
- Mississauga schools in hold and secure due to suspicious activity: Police
- BREAKING: Social gathering limits to be lowered in Mississauga in response to spike in COVID-19 cases
- Mississauga woman celebrating big lotto win with her partner
- Peel District schools in Mississauga with reported cases of COVID-19 - September 16
- Creditview closed at Bristol for police investigation in Mississauga