A Weather Warning is Currently in Effect for Mississauga
If all the New Year's Eve event schedule shifts and changes weren't enough to warn you that the polar vortex is here, Environment Canada has released yet another winter weather warning for Halton and Peel (Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon, Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills).
The weather agency says that an extreme cold warning is currently in effect and that 2017 is "about to end on a very cold note."
Sadly, we live in a country where the air hurts our faces.
According to Environment Canada, a fresh surge of Arctic air is encompassing the entire province in its icy grip (their words, not ours).
"Although winds are relatively light, the extreme cold is expected to produce windchill values below minus 30 tonight. New Year’s Eve revellers are cautioned that windchill values will be near minus 30 late this evening as we ring in 2018."
The agency says that the latest indications continue to show that these frigid conditions will persist into New Year’s Day, and possibly into Tuesday before moderating somewhat.
Extreme cold puts everyone at risk, but children, elderly people, people with compromised immune systems and people who work outdoors are most vulnerable to health conditions related to extreme cold. Residents should check on older family members, friends and neighbours. They should also remember that if it's too cold for them to be outside, it's too cold for their pets to be outdoors.
Dress warmly and seek shelter when necessary if you plan on ringing in 2018 outside tonight.
- Canada Revenue Agency scam backfires, three from Brampton now face charges
- Father from Mississauga celebrating a big lotto win living out his ‘Price is Right’ dream
- Police bring down organized crime group breaking into Mississauga homes
- Mississauga Mayor furious about retirement party at Canada Post facility in Mississauga
- Woman in Brampton struck and killed while trying to retrieve something from trunk