A Uniquely Entrepreneurial Event is Coming to Mississauga
One of the latest developing trends in both Mississauga is the emergence of the startup community in Peel Region.
Granted, mostly when you hear about the tech sector in North America, you think of Sidewalk Labs in downtown Toronto, the innovation triangle down in Kitchener-Waterloo, and the obligatory mentions of Silicon Valley, Seattle or even New York City.
But you’d be wrong to think that Peel does not have an incubator for such a niche sector in the new economy. Since 2014 LAB B, located at the Old Mill Building in downtown Brampton, has been working to support and help entrepreneurs (both creative and technical) within Canada's ninth largest city.
At its core, LAB B functions as a community hub where creative people, freelancers and entrepreneurs come together and innovate. This coming first weekend of May, they will be hosting a hackathon for entrepreneurs and innovators to showcase their ideas for a chance to win a substantive amount of cash to push their project forward.
Startup Weekend in Peel Region is a three-day, 54 hour event held jointly in collaboration with TechStars going into its third year. It will take place at the Maple Leaf Foods headquarters in Mississauga on 6987 Financial Drive, from May 4-6.
Supported by mentors and advisors, participants will generate ideas, build a prototype, and pitch to a panel of judges and investors for an opportunity to win $3,000 towards their startup business. Participants will also have the opportunity to meet these mentors, gain exposure to new skills in a collaborative environment, and demonstrate leadership.
The event is being sponsored by Maple Leaf Foods, Coca-Cola, Pearson International Airport, Sheridan College, Google for Entrepreneurs, and the Ontario Trillium Foundation.
“Being in an environment like Startup Weekend is a great way to network with other entrepreneurs and to create real sustainable ideas and results. At previous Startup Weekends, we have been able to engage over 300 young people in technology and entrepreneurship,” said Harpreet Singh, Co-Founder of LAB B, in a press release.
“It is exciting to see the community come together to build off each other skill sets and creativity, in order to produce new innovative ideas. Events, such as Startup Weekend Peel, are what help entrepreneurs experience the reality of creating a startup,” Singh continued.
Graphic courtesy of StartupWeekend.org
- Brampton, Ryerson team up for expo aimed at entrepreneurs to learn, network
- Top 5 Ways to Ensure Your Startup Company is Successful
- Brampton calling on international entrepreneurs for BHive initiative
- Unique Hackathon Event Coming to Mississauga
- Visa partnering with IFundWomen to provide support for women entrepreneurs
- Brampton father found guilty in severe malnutrition of his 21-month-old daughter
- India extends own flight ban disrupting travel plans for those in Mississauga and Brampton
- Hudson's Bay may be in 'shirt' over a taboo typo in Canada
- WATCH: Hamilton Police release video of Barton Street shooting
- Big deals happening at a new clothing and accessories store at Dixie Outlet Mall in Mississauga