A Rejuvenated Park is Set to Open in Mississauga
Can a city have too many parks?
Definitely not—especially since summer is in full swing.
We recently learned that the sprawling Hancock Woodlands Park will be opening at the end of the summer (which is excellent news for outdoorsy types, especially when considering the damage other major parks have suffered due to the unusually wet spring). If that news wasn't enough for you, you might be even more thrilled to learn that and that another outdoor recreational space—Bruce Reynolds Park—will be opening very soon.
The park, located at 2173 Springbank Road in the Lorne Park area, is currently under construction and will be opening later on this summer.
According to the City of Mississauga, the tennis courts and parking lots are slated to open soon, along with a full park (including a playground). The park and playground will be open as soon as city staff can confirm that the grass is mature enough for full use.
The park has been under construction for some time now, as the city advised residents of the improvements back in November of 2015. At that time, the city said the existing playground would be replaced and soccer fields rejuvenated in 2016. The city also announced its intention to add more pathways to increase accessibility to facilities, improve parking, add new benches and plant new trees.
As you might recall (as it was a newsworthy item at the time), a portion of the park was constructed over fly ash (small flecks of ash which were placed there in the 60s by Ontario Hydro). Because the fly ash was covered by soil and vegetation, the city had to check the existing depth of soil cover before finalizing park plans.
The soil review was scheduled for 2015 and the improvements kicked off in 2016. The park closed last September.
The soccer fields could remain closed throughout the 2017 season.
Enjoy the park, everyone!
- City of Mississauga Asking Residents to Weigh in on Future of Massive Park
- New Two-Storey Playground Castle Planned for Mississauga Park
- A Major Park is Opening in Mississauga
- Mississauga’s Newest Destination Park is About to Open
- City of Mississauga planning controlled burn of portion of popular park this weekend
- BRAMPTON'S MOST WANTED: Peel Police hunt four men on the run
- MAYORS CHAT: Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie chats about COVID-19, vaccines and tickets - May 11, 2021
- Three dozen Mississauga residents ticketed at outdoor gatherings
- Ontario pulls AstraZeneca from arms of Mississauga, Brampton reisdents over renewed fears of blood clots
- Most and least expensive homes in Mississauga