A new school is set to be built in Mississauga
The province recently announced that a new elementary school will be built in the growing City Centre neighbourhood in Mississauga.
On Aug. 13, the province announced that it has given approval to tender up to $15.8 million for the new Elm Drive Public School. The province says the new school will feature 650 new student spaces, four child care rooms and one EarlyON Child and Family Centre room.
"Our government is pleased to support the building of the new Elm Drive Public School," said Natalia Kusendova, MPP for Mississauga Centre, in a statement.
"With this announcement, our government is investing in the future of students, growing a community of life-long learners and responsible global citizens who champion their own success."
The province says the four child care rooms will boast 73 child care spaces.
"We are thankful to the government for making this investment in the rapidly emerging City Centre community," said Trustee John Marchant, who represents Wards 1 and 7, in a statement.
"I look forward to the opening of this new elementary school which will support the learning needs of Kindergarten to Grade 8 students and set up future generations of students for success."
The Ontario government has said that over the next ten years, it will invest nearly $13 billion in capital grants, including allocating over $500 million to improve classrooms in 2020. The funding could be used to replace aging heating or air conditioning systems, repair roofs and windows, and install accessibility features such as elevators and ramps.
The Ministry of Education is currently accepting submissions from school boards for their top 10 school-based capital priorities for funding consideration as well as support for the expansion of childcare spaces.
Cover photo, provided by the province, features Kusendova and Education Minister Stephen Lecce
- Ontario Government Launches School Renovation Program
- Ontario building and expanding schools to strengthen learning and increase child care access
- Brand New School and Daycare Coming to Mississauga
- A Mississauga high school is getting a million-dollar retrofit
- Feds, Province teaming up to provide $147 million in funding for child care
- Brampton father found guilty in severe malnutrition of his 21-month-old daughter
- WATCH: Hamilton Police release video of Barton Street shooting
- Hudson's Bay may be in 'shirt' over a taboo typo in Canada
- India extends own flight ban disrupting travel plans for those in Mississauga and Brampton
- Big deals happening at a new clothing and accessories store at Dixie Outlet Mall in Mississauga