A Movie Might Have Been a Factor in Theatre Evacuation
While Peel and Toronto police are still involved in ongoing and separate investigations into the noxious substance incidents that cleared three GTA movie theatres last Friday, Peel Sgt. Matt Small recently told CTV News that the Tamil film Theri might have had something to do with the events.
That said, the investigation is still ongoing and Sgt. Small told CTV that although the movie might be the motive, he added that "there's been nothing that's been confirmed in that regard."
Still, it appears that Cineplex has cancelled showings in lieu of the incidents.
In an email to CTV, Cineplex spokesperson Sarah Van Lange said that even though affected theatres were evacuated entirely for cautionary purposes, each incident was localized to a single auditorium. CTV reports that Cineplex is cancelling the remaining run of Theri at its GTA theatres.
On the evening of Friday, April 22, three movie theatres -- the City Centre Cineplex, a Brampton SilverCity and a Scarborough cinema -- were evacuated when a chemical substance that caused effects similar to those brought on by pepper spray started making some patrons feel ill. The incidents were all reported around 7:30 p.m.
CTV reports that Peel police are working with authorities in Toronto to investigate the incidents and are currently saying that it's too early to confirm co-ordination. Whether or not the incidents were pranks or malicious is yet to be discovered.
- This Massive Entertainment Facility is a Hidden Gem
- 5 Hidden Gem Shows at the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga
- Hugely popular cheesecake hotspot coming to Square One in Mississauga
- Some residents and councillor furious about bridge demolition in Mississauga
- Man dies after police taser him in Mississauga
- 3 GTA Theatres Including Mississauga Evacuated Over the Weekend
- Suspicious Attacks Prompt Cineplex to Pull Film From Theatres Again
- Huge Changes Possible for Mississauga Movie Theatres
- Raptor’s Games Will be Shown at Some Movie Theatres in Mississauga
- A Look at Mississauga's Historical Movie Theatres