A Mississauga school is getting a new $2.8 million addition
Last week, Premier Doug Ford appeared in Brampton to update residents on the province's plan to invest over $500 million to build 30 new schools and upgrade 15 existing facilities.
One facility slated to receive an upgrade is Thomas Street Middle School (located at 2640 Thomas St.) in Mississauga.
The province announced that it has given the Peel District School Board approval for a $2.8 million addition to the school.
According to the province, the addition will include 138 new student spaces to create 893 spaces in total.
"The $2.8 million of funding for this addition to the Thomas Street Middle School is great news for our community," said Sheref Sabawy, MPP for Mississauga-Erin Mills, in a statement.
"This investment will provide a quality learning environment and new opportunities for the children of Mississauga."
"We have been waiting for this project for about four to five years," Said Nokha Dakroub, PDSB trustee for wards 9 and 10, in a statement.
"Now we are very excited to have this start and to get it done. I know the community will benefit very much from it. I thank Minister Lecce and MPP Sabawy for their support and their advocacy."
The Ontario government says it's also providing school boards with $1.4 billion in funding to renew and maintain existing schools.
- A Mississauga high school is getting a million-dollar retrofit
- Federal government gives Ontario $381 million to help with back-to-school plan
- Ontario school boards urged to spend air quality funding by Thanksgiving
- Mississauga Schools Receiving $3 Million in Upgrades
- Ontario Government Launches School Renovation Program
- VIDEO: Mississauga Youtuber Kyle Forgeard surprises his parents by letting them retire early
- A barbershop reopens during the lockdown as a film production studio
- Mississauga woman speechless after massive lottery win
- Mississauga church youth group leader arrested for sexual assault
- 24 flights with COVID-19 cases confirmed this week at Pearson Airport in Mississauga