A look at the latest COVID-19 developments in Canada
Published January 14, 2022 at 3:52 pm
A look at the latest COVID-19 news in Canada:
— Some Ontario school boards say classes could be cancelled with very little notice if they don’t have enough teachers available due to high rates of COVID-19. Classes are set to resume in-person on Monday after schools began the term with online learning. In a message to parents, the Toronto District School Board — the province’s largest — says it’s taken numerous steps to ensure staffing levels are as high as possible, but last-minute class cancellations could happen. The Rainbow District School Board in northern Ontario says there may be same-day class cancellations if there aren’t enough teachers.
— The scientific director of Ontario’s expert pandemic advisory group says some indicators suggest COVID-19 hospitalizations could peak in the next few weeks. Dr. Peter Juni says while the province lacks accurate numbers on COVID-19 cases, data on mobility and test positivity are offering some clues on the current trajectory. He says people’s mobility outside of their homes, which is strongly correlated with their number of contacts, has dropped significantly since late last month. Test positivity has also started to decrease.
— Health officials in Prince Edward Island are reporting the first two COVID-19 deaths of the pandemic. Chief public health officer Dr. Heather Morrison says a person between the ages of 60 and 79 and a person over the age of 79 have died of COVID-19. Premier Dennis King issued a statement extending condolences to the families of the two people. Officials are also reporting 225 new cases of COVID-19 on the Island.
— When news of the first cases of COVID-19 began cropping up in Canada in early 2020, Linda Silas was one of the first to ring alarm bells about the lack of proper personal protective equipment for health workers. While early indications showed the virus was spread by droplets that settled on surfaces, Silas, president of the Canadian Federation of Nurses, urged health authorities to learn from the SARS outbreak of 2003 and take the highest level of precaution. Now she knows she was right — the virus is airborne — but she is still desperately calling for more protective equipment for nurses two years later. Regional unions across the country report that nurses who have requested fit-tested respirators still can’t get them in some cases, despite the Omicron variant being far more transmissible than previous strains.
— The Department of National Defence says formal proceedings have been launched against more than 900 members of the Canadian Armed Forces for refusing to get a COVID-19 vaccine. Chief of the defence staff Gen. Wayne Eyre ordered all military personnel to attest to having been fully vaccinated by mid-October. The deadline was later extended to mid-December. Defence Department spokesman Daniel Le Bouthillier says reviews had been launched against 100 Armed Forces members by the end of December for repeatedly refusing to get their jabs. Another 800 had received warnings, orders to attend counselling and other remedial measures, and could also be forced to hang up their uniforms if they refuse to get the shot.
— COVID-19 modelling released Friday by the British Columbia government shows the latest wave propelled by the Omicron variant may have already peaked in parts of the province. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said the wave has spread faster than previous ones and health officials believe the top of the latest surge was likely reached this past weekend. The modelling figures show a decrease in infections in two health authorities, Vancouver Coastal and Fraser Health, with a levelling off on Vancouver Island and a slight rise in the Interior.
— Alphonso Davies’ return from a bout of COVID-19 has been put on hold, with Bayern Munich saying the Canadian star shows signs of an inflammation of the heart muscle. Canada Soccer says the 21-year-old from Edmonton has been ruled out of Canada’s three World Cup qualifiers in the FIFA international window that straddles January and February. Bayern manager Julian Nagelsmann told a pre-match news conference that the problem was detected in the followup examination that all players who have had COVID undergo.
— The Toronto Maple Leafs have added three more players to the NHL’s COVID-19 protocol as an outbreak on the team that started in December continues to drag on. The Leafs announced Friday that forwards Ondrej Kase and Nick Ritchie and defenceman Justin Holl have been added to the list. The announcement comes two days after the Maple Leafs dropped a 2-1 road decision to the Arizona Coyotes, who are in the midst of a COVID-19 outbreak.
— More than 3,000 people are now in Quebec hospitals with COVID-19 and another 68 deaths have been linked to the disease. The Health Department said today the number of hospitalizations had risen by 91 from the day before, to 3,085, after 442 people were admitted and 351 discharged. Officials say 275 people are in intensive care, an increase of three from the day before.
— The government of Nova Scotia did not disclose a recent outbreak of COVID-19 at a large facility housing people with intellectual disabilities, Citing the privacy of residents for the decision that’s dismayed disability rights advocates. Documents from the facility obtained by The Canadian Press reveal that in the days after Christmas, two workers at the Kings Regional Rehabilitation Centre in Waterville, N.S., and one resident had contracted COVID-19. The centre, which is home to 159 residents, declined all comment, referring the matter to public health.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 14, 2022.
The Canadian Pressinsauga's Editorial Standards and Policies