An Interesting Change is Coming to Port Credit's Iconic Lighthouse
You may not realize it, but Mississauga is slowly becoming a hub of new technologies, and one up-and-coming company is Ecotip Ltd.
Ecotip Ltd., a company from the Czech Republic, recently announced that they will be demonstrating the effectiveness of one their products in Canada.
One of their new coatings will soon be applied to Port Credit’s iconic lighthouse this month. The company does not have an exact date at this time.
This project will be the first in Canada to adopt this technology on a heritage building. Depending on how well this coating performs, it may become the first of many to be applied with this technology.
More specifically, the project will entail applying a photocatalytic coating that oxidises pollutants in the surrounding air on contact by utilising UV rays. The coating primarily consists of titanium dioxide and is nanotechnology.
That’s right. Once thought as only possible in science fiction, nanotech is already here and a part of our community.
The coating cleans the surrounding air of pollutants such as PM 2.5s, fine particulates, benzene, carbon monoxide and other substances. In addition, it preserves the look of the structure for up to 10 years by making it impossible for any stains, mould, mildew, or algae from developing on the lighthouse. It is a self-cleaning technology that requires zero maintenance.
Editor’s Note: A previous version of this article stated that FN Nano was the up-and-coming company. However, the correct name of the company is Ecotip Ltd. The article has since been corrected, we regret the error.
Cover photo courtesy of @idris.yyz
- Police called after racism discussions become heated at Peel District School Board meeting
- Canada issues travel advisory warning for India
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Car drives on sidewalk in Mississauga
- Tim Hortons is implementing changes to its Tims Rewards loyalty program
- Five Reasons You Need to Try This Amazing Egyptian Restaurant in Mississauga
- The Iconic Port Credit Lighthouse is About to Get a New Look
- St. Lawrence Starch Company in Port Credit
- Mississauga Company Faces Huge Fine for Environmental Violations
- Canada's largest movie theatre chain sold to UK-based company
- A Mississauga-Based Company is Now Part of the Top 50 Companies in Canada