A Frightening New Scam is Scaring Mississauga Residents into Giving Up Private Information
Most people are quick to comply when police officers—or an organization associated with police and policing— ask them to do something, and that's what might make a new scam all the more dangerous.
Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU), an arm's length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault, recently announced that a group is using the SIU's toll-free number to make fraudulent calls.
The SIU says the call appears to be coming from 1-800-787-8529. In some cases, the victim is told that there is something wrong with their Social Insurance Number and that if they don't continue with the call by pressing '1' or '2', he or she will be charged or jailed.
The SIU is reminding residents that it does not contact individuals by phone for this type of personal information.
The fraudulent calls appear to be part of a phishing scam. For those who are unaware, phishing scams work by deceiving people into clicking through links or phone menus that make it possible for a group or individuals to solicit personal information (such as passwords or financial information) that would not otherwise be offered.
Anyone who receives an email or phone call from someone demanding to know private information on behalf of a legitimate organization (such as a bank, police service, city, government agency or telecommunications company) should reach out to the actual organization to confirm the request before providing any information.
If you receive a strange call from the SIU, you're advised to report it to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.
If you believe you are a victim of fraud, contact police.
- Major phone scam affecting Mississauga; residents warned not to call back
- An Ongoing Phone Call Scam is Targeting People in Mississauga and Beyond
- Police Warning Residents to Beware of Frightening Scam
- SCAM ALERT: CRA and Immigration Phone Call Scam
- SCAM ALERT: RCMP Warn of Spoofing of Their Phone Number
- HOTW: Inside a $2.3 mil luxury penthouse in Mississauga's Marilyn Monroe condo
- Mississauga grocery store worker tests positive for COVID-19
- Mississauga teacher enjoying big lotto win
- COVID-19 outbreak declared at long-term care home in Mississauga
- BREAKING: Ontario reporting new high of over 1,000 new COVID-19 cases today