A drive-in Raptors viewing party is coming to Mississauga
A little over a year ago, thousands of people stood shoulder-to-shoulder, chest-to-back and maybe even nose-to-nose (if they already knew each other really well and were unafraid to "speak moistly" to one another) at Celebration Square in Mississauga to celebrate the historic Raptors victory in the NBA Finals.
Those days of closeness and crowding are, temporarily, behind us.
But while there is no Jurassic Park West this year, Tourism Mississauga is turning the Paramount Fine Foods Centre parking lot into a pop-up drive-in Raptors viewing party.
Starting this Friday, Aug. 21, basketball fans can enjoy a physically-distanced viewing party from the safety of their vehicles, as the games will be broadcast on the big screen in parking lot A1 at the facility.
According to the Paramount Fine Foods Centre website, capacity is limited to 100 vehicles and guests are required to reserve their free tickets in advance. Each ticket admits one standard passenger car or truck (RVs and limousines are not permitted), so that means that only one ticket per vehicle is required (but all guests must have their own seatbelt).
Drive-in viewing parties will be held on the following dates:
- Game 3: Friday, Aug. 21 at 1:30 pm; gates at 12 pm
- Game 4: Sunday, Aug. 23 at 6:30 p.m.; gates at 5 pm
- Game 5: Tuesday, August 25, time TBD
- Game 6: Thursday, August 27, time TBD
- Game 7: Saturday, August 29, time TBD
The website says guests and staff are required to adhere to current public health guidelines and follow rules regarding vehicle spacing, entering/exiting vehicles, PPE (for staff), contactless payment and ticketing systems and restroom procedures.
Masks will not be available for purchase at the venue, so all guests must remember to bring their own. All guests must have a mask for entry, with the exception of children under the age of two and those with medical conditions that prevent mask use.
Face coverings are mandatory when outside your car and when visiting restrooms on-site, but are not required when inside your vehicle.
Sound will be broadcast through FM radio and the station frequency will be provided upon arrival. Food and beverages will not be available onsite, so guests can bring their own snacks (although Paramount's website says that glass containers, large coolers, and grills are not permitted).
Parking is based on a first-come-first-serve basis and capacity is limited.
Gates will open 90 minutes prior to each event. All cars must be in their parking spot 15 minutes prior to event start time. Guests that show up late could lose their spot.
Guests must remain in their vehicles at all times, except when going to the restroom. There are no in and out privileges and events may be cancelled in the event of extreme weather.
The website says alcohol, drugs, lawn chairs, pets and noisemakers are not permitted.
The city says guests can donate new or unused backpacks that will be collected as part of the Raptors 905 Breakfast with Santa campaign.
To learn more, click here.
- Here’s how you can attend a drive-in Raptors viewing party in Mississauga
- Here's how you can cheer on the Raptors in Mississauga on Sunday
- Here’s What You Need to Know About Game 6 at Jurassic Park West in Mississauga
- Japan Festival Canada bringing exciting Raptors event to Mississauga soon
- Here Is What You Need To Know About The Raptors' Games At Celebration Square
- BRAMPTON'S MOST WANTED: Peel Police hunt four men on the run
- Costco scam targeting residents in Mississauga and Brampton
- Another 7 flights with 38 rows affected land with COVID-19 at Pearson Airport in Mississauga
- Mississauga's 5 ugliest buildings
- Motorcyclist hospitalized after colliding with vehicle in Mississauga