A Cannabis Retail Store Could be Coming to Mississauga Soon
Cannabis has been legal across Canada since Oct. 17, but brick and mortar outlet have yet to open up (in fact, cannabis can only be legally purchased online for time being).
But come 2019, that will change—and it's very possible that Mississauga will be home to a tangible cannabis store.
For that reason, the City of Mississauga is engaging in consultations with residents.
The city recently announced that it's considering whether Mississauga should opt in or out of private retail sales of cannabis. The city says it's also looking at locations where smoking or other use of recreational cannabis could be prohibited on city property; however the city cannot completely prohibit the smoking or vaping of cannabis.
City council has until January 22, 2019 to make the decision to opt-out or permit retail stores. The province will continue to consult with municipalities including Mississauga, Peel Public Health and Peel Regional Police on the implementation of the private retail model.
So, here's where residents come in.
"The City wants to directly hear from residents on these matters. Responses can be provided either online through a survey or by attending a public information session. The City has also conducted an independent telephone survey, using Forum Research, to gain direct input from residents across the City," the city wrote in a news release.
After all the consultation has concluded, the city says it will review the public's input along with other relevant data, inputs and trends before presenting formal feedback to the Province.
Here's when and where the info session will take place:
Do you want a private cannabis store in Mississauga?
- Police Investigating Reports Of A Suspicious Man With A Gun In Mississauga
- Multiple Lanes Blocked on 401 Following Collision in Mississauga
- Road Closures Due To Serious Collision In Mississauga
- Rental Rates are Climbing Higher in Mississauga: Report
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Driver Charged After Travelling the Wrong Way on QEW in Mississauga
- Mississauga Makes Final Decision on Whether or Not to Allow Cannabis Retail Stores
- Here’s How Private Cannabis Stores Will Function in Mississauga
- Majority of Ontario Residents Oppose Government Run Cannabis Stores
- People Might Not Be Able to Smoke Cannabis in a Number of Places in Mississauga
- Is Having a Cannabis Store in Your Neighbourhood a Good Thing?