A Brand New GO Station is Being Built Near Mississauga
GO Transit riders might be interested to hear that a brand new GO Station will be built just outside of Mississauga.
Today, Jeff Yurek, Minister of Transportation and Phil Verster, President and CEO of Metrolinx, announced the province's plan to build a new GO station at Woodbine, just outside of Mississauga’s Malton neighbourhood. The province says it will be built at no cost to taxpayers.
This announcement follows fast on the heels of another major Metrolinx announcement that children will be able to ride GO trains and buses for free as of March 9.
The province and Metrolinx are partnering with Woodbine Entertainment to build the station along Highway 27, on the Kitchener GO rail line.
The brand new Etobicoke transit stop will be called the Highway 27-Woodbine station.
It will replace the current Etobicoke North station, which is set to be demolished.
In a Metrolinx report, the new station is identified as an additional UP Express stop. The report says it could also work as an extension of the Finch West LRT from Humber College to Pearson International Airport.
“Our government is putting Ontario’s transit users and taxpayers first by delivering a modern GO station at Woodbine,” said Yurek. “We are moving quickly to address transit needs and get relief to people who rely on the GO network.”
The province says Woodbine Entertainment has development plans that will bring new jobs, housing and entertainment opportunities to the area around the station.
“A new GO station at Woodbine will offer opportunities to live and work near a major employer and entertainment destination, as well as better access to the local community and jobs in this employment mega zone,” said Verster. “This is a wonderful announcement for our customers. We look forward to working with Woodbine Entertainment on this exciting venture.”
The new GO station at Woodbine will feature fully accessible and barrier-free facilities, and direct road, bicycle, and sidewalk access.
To learn more about the station, click here.
- Metrolinx could charge for GO Station parking in the future
- More parking, pedestrian tunnels, part of completion of Mississauga's Cooksville GO Station
- Here’s How People Feel About Major Union Station West Transit Hub Coming to Mississauga
- Construction Begins on a Major GO Station Redevelopment Project in Mississauga
- Privacy Concerns Rise About Government's New Metrolinx Station Program
- Mississauga and Brampton face curfews, travel ban as Ford plans next COVID move
- 401 closed as Mississauga woman killed in early morning collision
- City of Mississauga planning controlled burn of portion of popular park this weekend
- Mayor of Brampton Patrick Brown and wife celebrate birth of baby girl
- Police investigating dead body found in park in Mississauga