A Brand New Community Hub Is Coming To Mississauga
While Malton is home to Canada’s biggest and most bustling airport, the area is also home to lower-income neighbourhoods and lacks in some supportive services. While businesses may be improving, social services for Malton residents have not.
However, there has been an exciting update in the construction of the Malton community hub.
After Ward 5 Councillor Carolyn Parrish pushed for a community hub earlier this year, Mississauga is finally converting the decommissioned Lincoln M. Alexander Secondary School pool into a community hub.
Pool photo courtesy of Carolyn Parrish
During the April 5 Regional Council meeting, Parrish asked her colleagues to approve a study to provide funding for a community services hub in the Malton neighbourhood. She wanted to convert the pool enclosure at Lincoln Alexander Secondary School into a Youth Hub Facility with a drop-in centre main floor and a 40 per cent mezzanine to house social and health service agencies, specifically focused on youth.
The hub will provide services, programs and social/cultural activities that reflect the local community needs. Located at 3545 Morningstar Drive, the facility will offer meeting rooms, offices, program, event and multi-functional open space for social gatherings. The facility is currently 12,000 square feet with the capacity to expand to up to approximately 21,000 square feet.
Photo courtesy of Peel District School Board
With the support of the Peel District School Board and the Region of Peel, the design and construction of the hub will begin soon.
The design of the hub is expected to begin in 2020 followed by the construction and opening of the facility in 2021.
Parrish has asked Peel Region to provide two-thirds of capital funds in the 2019 Budget; the City of Mississauga would be asked to provide the remaining third in the same budget.
The city has also issued a Request for Expression of Interest to select a lead agency to manage and operate the Malton community hub. The chosen agency will work with the city and its project partners to shape the hub’s vision, integrated service delivery model and business plan as well as select sub-agencies to operate out of the Hub.
- House of the Week: $1.5 Mil Home With Stunning All-White Bathrooms
- Fire Crews on Scene for Vehicle Fire in Mississauga
- Unique Event Coming to Beloved Boutique Hotel in Mississauga
- 5 Strange and Unique Places to Visit Outside of Mississauga This Summer
- International Pop Stars Coming to Two-Day Festival at Celebration Square in Mississauga
- A Brand New Community Hub Has Been Proposed for Mississauga
- Peel District School Board Increases Facility Rental Fees Due To Provincial Funding Cuts
- Mississauga Has This New Service for the LGBT Community
- A Brand New Community Centre is Coming to Mississauga
- This is Where You Can Access Community Services in Mississauga