8,300 households take part in car theft town hall meeting in Brampton


Published May 9, 2024 at 9:30 am

Brampton Car Theft Strategy Announcement

Some 8,300 households took part in a virtual town hall meeting in Brampton on Tuesday night to learn more about the growing number of car thefts in their city and what’s being done about it.

For many Ontarians, car theft has been a dominant variable in day-to-day living, and those in Brampton are not exempt from these anxieties. In fact, Peel’s two cities — Brampton and Mississauga — have seen some of the highest numbers of car thefts in both the province and Canada in recent years.

In response to rising concerns, thousands of households tuned in to the Tele-Town-Hall Tuesday night to hear what Mayor Patrick Brown and several law enforcement officials had to say about the crime and its impact on Brampton.

According to a post on X (formerly Twitter) from municipal powers in Brampton, attendees shared their concerns and desired solutions in the face of ongoing crime in the region.

City officials were able to take into account public concerns and pledged to include their suggestions in the search for solutions. 

As for data surrounding the event, municipal officials revealed that 90 per cent of participants agreed auto theft is a severe problem in Brampton — the remaining 10 per cent were split between mild concerns and no concerns at all. 

In addition, when municipal leaders addressed the possibility of container scanners being used at Canadian ports to prevent stolen cars from being shipped out of the country, 93 per cent agreed such action is required.

Brampton officials haven’t yet said how they plan to use the information gathered at this week’s public meeting.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising