8 schools are closed in Uxbridge, Ajax, Whitby and Pickering
Published May 24, 2022 at 7:13 am
8 public schools in Durham Region will remain closed today (Tuesday May 24) due to not yet have access to power after Saturday’s ferocious and deadly storm.
The schools that are closed in Durham District School Board are:
– Uxbridge Secondary School (Uxbridge)
– Uxbridge Public School (Uxbridge)
– Joseph Gould Public School (Uxbridge)
– Goodwood Public School (Uxbridge)
– Lincoln Avenue Public School (Ajax)
– E.A. Fairman Public School (Whitby)
– Southwood Park Public School (Ajax)
– Valley View Public School (Pickering)
The school board says they are will be open on Wednesday.
“The decision to close these schools has been made to protect the health and safety of students, parents/guardians and staff as electricity is needed to safely operate a school,” The board said in a statement issued on Monday.
“Many students in the area of these schools may also be without power and therefore, not able to access virtual learning. For this reason, there will be NO remote learning taking place at those schools.”
The Durham District Catholic School Board says all of its schools had power as of Tuesday morning and will be open.
The Town of Uxbridge has declared a local state of emergency due to storm damage.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising