60 COVID-19 cases contracted at workplace in Mississauga
Sixty cases of COVID-19 have been linked to an outbreak at a workplace in Mississauga, Peel Public Health says.
Dr. Monica Hau, Associate Medical Officer of Health, confirmed the outbreak in an email to insauga.com but did not disclose the name, location or nature of the facility in question.
Peel Public Health says that of the 60 cases, 55 were found in Peel residents.
When asked about disclosing more details surrounding workplace outbreaks in Peel during a Sept. 9 press conference, Hau said that such details will not be publicized unless the public’s health and safety are at risk.
“Peel Public Health would always disclose the name of a workplace if there was a risk to the public or if we needed people to come forward for contact tracing,” Hau reiterated in a statement emailed to insauga.com.
“No public notification is needed for workplaces where we have the names of all close contacts identified in our investigation. This is consistent with Provincial guidelines for workplace outbreaks. This also supports the privacy of the people who test positive and the businesses that employ them.”
In a statement, Hau said that Peel Public Health’s tracers contact all close contacts and direct them to get tested and self-isolate.
“We also work with employers to make sure they are doing what they can to limit further workplace exposure. This includes advice on infection prevention and control measures, including disinfection, as needed.”
The news comes at a time when Peel, and Brampton in particular, are experiencing an uptick in COVID-19 cases. Over the past few weeks, the region has accounted for a significant portion of new infections in the province, prompting Premier Doug Ford to voice concerns and encourage residents to avoid large social gatherings and follow public health advice regarding masking, handwashing and physical distancing.
According to Peel Public Health’s website, 30 new cases were recorded in the region on Sept. 9, with 21 cases found in Brampton and nine discovered in Mississauga.
- Peel Public Health investigates after local workplace exposed to coronavirus
- Peel Public Health says people who visited Peel Tim Hortons location not at heightened risk of COVID-19 exposure
- Public Health can no longer trace all COVID-19 cases in Peel
- Public Health says Mississauga and Brampton officially experiencing second wave of COVID-19 as new cases surpass 200 for second day in a row
- Public Health confirms COVID-19 U.K. variant in Peel Region
- Some university students in Mississauga are dating older partners to pay off debt
- Vehicle leaves scene after striking pedestrian in Mississauga
- Three OPP officers charged following allegations of preferential treatment for GTA tow operators
- Top 5 Chicken on the Rocks in Mississauga
- Police won’t be stopping and questioning people while stay-at-home order is in effect