$50 million park and community centre coming to Mississauga soon
On Nov. 18, reporters and Mississauga city staff gathered in a committee room near council chambers to discuss the proposed 2020 Budget and some of the new amenities that residents can expect to enjoy next year.
While residents might be slightly disappointed to hear that they could see a 3.84 per cent increase on the 2020 residential property tax bill (1.74 per cent is for the city’s services and 2.1 per cent is for the Region of Peel's services), they should be happy to hear that the city's proposed $926.1 million 2020 operating budget will produce some perks, namely increased MiWay service hours and a brand new community centre.
At the meeting, Gary Kent, Commissioner of Corporate Services and Chief Financial Officer, confirmed that the budget includes the construction of the brand new Churchill Meadows Community Centre and park.
The community centre, which will be completed by the end of 2020 or the beginning of 2021, will cost $50 million to construct.
According to the city's website, the Churchill Meadows Community Centre and park will be located at 5320 Ninth Line, between Highway 407 and Sixteen Mile Creek to the west, and the Churchill Meadows community to the east.
The website says the city will be developing these lands as an all-season sports park with tournament-level lit sports fields, outdoor amenities, natural areas and, of course, a community centre.
The centre itself will include a triple gymnasium, indoor pool, warm water therapeutic tank, multi-purpose spaces, a teaching kitchen and change rooms that can be used by those using the adjacent sports fields and seasonal dome.
According to the website, the park is intended to be used by area residents (and with the Churchill Meadows area growing rapidly, there's no shortage of people to serve) and organized sports groups.
It will be designed for people of all ages and abilities, offering a variety of recreational activities and neighbourhood amenities for year-round use.
Will you be using this community centre when it opens?
Photos courtesy of the City of Mississauga
- A Brand New Community Centre is Coming to Mississauga
- Huge New Condo Community Slated for City Centre Area in Mississauga
- A peek at one of the most in-demand neighbourhoods in Mississauga
- Mississauga community centre reopens after temporary closure
- A Brand New Community Hub Has Been Proposed for Mississauga
- Rental prices falling amid COVID-19 pandemic in Mississauga
- 153 new COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, 20 new cases reported over two-day period in Mississauga
- Two Mississauga residents facing gun and drug-related charges
- Ongoing power outage still affecting about 800 homes and businesses in Mississauga
- Mississauga high school teacher charged with sexual assault