477 new COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, 1,550 total cases found in Mississauga
Editor’s Note: This article was updated at 3:12 pm to reflect updated Region of Peel numbers
The province says that 477 new COVID-19 cases have been confirmed in Ontario and that over 1,500 residents have died of the virus.
As of 10:30 am on May 8, Ontario is reporting 19,598 cases of the novel coronavirus in the province. The province says 1,540 people have died of the disease, while another 13,990 cases have resolved.
The province says 1,028 COVID-19 patients are hospitalized, with 213 being treated in intensive care units. The website says 166 patients are currently using ventilators.
According to the website, 380,854 people have been tested for the virus and 13,012 possible cases are under investigation. The website says 15,179 tests have been completed in the last day.
According to Peel Public Health's COVID-19 website (which was updated at 12:22 pm on May 8), 2,958 people have been diagnosed in the region and 188 people have died of the virus. Peel Public Health says 140 deaths have occurred in Mississauga. Forty-seven deaths have been reported in Brampton and one death has been reported in Caledon.
According to Peel's website, 175 COVID-19 patients have had to be hospitalized. The site says 2,027 patients have recovered. The recoveries of 743 patients are pending.
Peel Public Health says 114 residents have died in long-term care homes. There are currently outbreaks in 25 long-term care homes, retirement residences, and hospitals, and 497 residents in these facilities have tested positive for the virus.
There are currently 1,329 cases in Brampton, 73 in Caledon and 1,550 in Mississauga.
Six cases are pending more information.
Residents are reminded to wash their hands frequently and stay home unless it is not possible to do so.
Cover photo courtesy of The Canadian Press
- 399 new COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, 1,498 total cases confirmed in Mississauga
- 346 new COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, 1,569 total cases found in Mississauga
- 387 new COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, 1,444 total cases confirmed in Mississauga
- 361 new COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, 1,669 total cases found in Mississauga
- 258 new COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, 1,723 total cases found in Mississauga
- Mississauga student receives one of Canada's most coveted scholarships
- Man chains himself to tree outside of hard-hit Mississauga long-term care home to demand change
- Ontario secondary schools have room for improvement: report
- These Mississauga retailers are open (or opening) for in-store shopping
- Mississauga to begin reopening outdoor amenities