407 offering free travel credits to frontline workers in Mississauga
As a show of support for frontline workers who have helped keep the wheels of society turning despite the struggles associated with the pandemic, the 407 ETR announced it will be offering $170,000 in free travel for fire departments, emergency medical services (EMS), and food bank workers along the highway.
The travel credit will be provided via gift cards to organizations from Oshawa to Hamilton, the cards will then be distributed to staff and volunteers.
This latest donation comes in addition to the $300,000 in-kind donation of free travel given to hospital workers across the GTA at the onset of the pandemic.
“We’ve been grappling with COVID-19 for almost a year now and though it’s wearing on us all, our community heroes continue to show up every day to help others in need,” Javier Tamargo, president and CEO of 407 ETR, said in a news release.
“We hope that this gesture of appreciation will lift their spirits and lighten their travel to and from work. After all, it’s important to support each other in any way we can during these challenging times," he continued.
Since the onset of the pandemic, the 407 ETR has donated $5.2 million as part of the company's Road to Recovery program to various causes, including $1.2 million to procure critical healthcare equipment and supplies.
- Province extending free childcare support for frontline workers, expanding service to more workers
- You Can Now Buy Travel Gift Cards from a Popular Airline
- Ontario accountants offer free tax prep for healthcare workers fighting COVID-19
- Circle K offering free drinks for healthcare workers
- Peel opens emergency child care centres amid COVID-19 outbreak to support health care and frontline workers
- Mississauga and Brampton rolling out mobile vaccine clinics targeting essential workers
- Speed cushions to be installed on four Mississauga roads
- Still no answer from feds as eight more flights and 67 rows affected by COVID-19 at Pearson Airport in Mississauga
- House of the Week: $6.5 mil home with wine cellar and outdoor kitchen
- Massive $50 million mansion in Mississauga is being used to film Amazon's "The Boys"