Large number of Welland homes without water on Wednesday and Thursday
Published October 4, 2021 at 3:44 pm
A large number of Welland homes and businesses will have no water service from 9 pm on October 6 to 9 am on October 7.
That’s because Niagara Region is conducting some emergency watermain repair work.
The shutdown will affect all properties:
- On Southworth Street from Railroad Avenue. to Humberstone Road
- East of Southworth Street to Bradley Avenue from one block north of Sauer Avenue to Marc Boulevard
- On David Street from Sauer Avenue to Sager Avenue inclusive
- In the Dain City suburb
The shutdown may also affect the remaining properties west of Southworth Street to Deer Street from Ontario Road to Gordon Street.
The region recommends that before the shutdown
- Residents should have a potable water container filled with water for drinking
- Fill containers (e.g. buckets) with water for washing and flushing the toilet
During the shutdown
- Make sure all taps are closed, or in the off position, to avoid any flooding when your water supply is turned back on
- Try not to operate the faucets while the water is shut off
- Consider turning off your water heater to avoid any issues if the water heater tank gets accidentally drained
After the water shutdown
- Remove the aerator (screen) from your faucets
- Turn on the cold water tap that is located the closest to your water meter and let run until the water is clear, minimum of 10 minutes
- Turn on each additional cold water tap and let run for five minutes
- Replace the aerator (screen) on your faucets.
Said the Region in a release, “We understand these repairs may cause some inconveniences. However, these repairs must be completed as soon as possible. Welland residents with water quality questions or inquiries can call: 905-735-1700 ext. 3000.”