Welland seeks residents’ input for Official Plan amendments
Published September 10, 2021 at 4:51 pm
Welland is updating its Official Plan and is asking its residents the chance to offer their input.
In a release, the city says as they move into the future, “The Official Plan requires reviewing and updating its policies, goals, and objectives. An official plan is a planning tool that guides short- and long-term growth and development by designating land for various uses and providing policies for land use city-wide.”
Rachelle Larocque, Welland Manager of Planning Services, said they need their residents’ help so the city can shape its course in the direction they would prefer.
“Feedback from the public is essential when it comes to updating something like the Official Plan,” she said.
“This review will guide the City in its growth and development for years to come, and the more input we have, the more inclusive our decisions are.”
The Official Plan review looks at:
- Creating a strong vision for guiding growth in the City to 2051.
- Enhancing and promoting the development of complete, vibrant, and healthy communities.
• Planning for the impacts of climate change and meeting climate change and environmental targets.
• Addressing the economic vitality of the Downtown and employment areas.
• Promoting and enhancing the City’s existing neighbourhoods and heritage assets.
• Promoting, projecting, and enhancing natural areas and green spaces.
• Garnering important feedback from the community, stakeholders, City staff and public agencies.
• Conforming with provincial and regional policies.
• Aligning Official Plan policies with municipal objectives for providing appropriate services to meet the needs of a growing community.