28-day ‘shutdown’ coming to Mississauga, Brampton and the rest of Ontario

Published April 1, 2021 at 11:07 am

doug_ford_mississauga_and_brampton

If you had a hair appointment in Mississauga and Brampton on April 12th you might have to cancel.

Ontario is expected to announce a 28-day provincewide “shutdown” today to stop the spread of COVID-19 as an alarming spike in cases threatens the critical care system.

A source with knowledge of the restrictions discussed at an hours-long cabinet meeting Wednesday night says the final details of the new measures will be worked out this morning. 

The source, who was not authorized to speak publicly about the announcement, says schools will remain open after the Easter weekend.

Premier Doug Ford urged Ontarians earlier this week to stay home and not make plans for the Easter long weekend in anticipation of the new rules.

Ontario reported 2,333 new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday and 15 more deaths linked to the virus.

The province also had 421 COVID-19 patients in intensive care units — a new high.

LATEST UPDATE:
Ontario enters province-wide shutdown, patio dining suspended in Mississauga and Brampton

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies

Related News

advertising