19 year old charged after allegedly going triple the speed limit on the QEW
Charges have been laid in one of the more extreme speeding incidents police have seen recently.
According to OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt, a 19 year old male driver was stopped around 10:00 p.m. on Saturday evening (May 9) for going 308 km/h (191 mph) on the QEW in Burlington.
“This is absolutely egregious for anyone to be going those kinds of speeds,” said Schmidt, who stated he was “pretty much speechless” in response to the incident.
“The speed limit is 100, there’s areas where it’s 110. When you’re going triple the speed limit, I don’t even know where to begin with that.”
The driver was reportedly in his father’s car and had another 19 year old passenger with him.
According to Schmidt, the vehicle was going so fast that other drivers began honking in delight when it was stopped by police.
The 19 year old driver is charged with Street Racing and Criminal Dangerous Driving.
His licence has been suspended and vehicle impounded for seven days.
308 km/h on #QEW #Burlington. 191MPH 280ft/sec 85m/sec— OPP Highway Safety Division (@OPP_HSD) May 10, 2020
19 year old driver charged with #StreetRacing and Criminal Dangerous Driving. #7DayLicenceSuspension #7DayVehicleImpound pic.twitter.com/VyrSHx7QQm
Photo courtesy of @OPP_HSD
- PHOTOS: Driver Charged with Stunt Driving in Mississauga
- Driver Caught Travelling at Insane Speed on 403 in Mississauga
- Driver Charged After Fleeing From Police in Mississauga
- Driver charged after going nearly double the speed limit in Mississauga
- Driver Arrested for Reportedly Driving Ludicrous Speed in Mississauga
- Province says two-way, all-day service in the works for GO Train line that runs through Mississauga
- UPDATE: Cyclist succumbs to injuries after collision in Mississauga
- The Lost Village of Summerville
- Many Canadians concerned about returning to their office
- Police investigate after remains of infant found in Lake Ontario