18-Year-Old Mississauga Woman Beats Venus Williams in Huge Tennis Upset
A young Canadian athlete defeated legendary tennis powerhouse Venus Williams in the 2019 ASB Classic Quarterfinal in Auckland, New Zealand.
Bianca Andreescu, an 18-year-old from Mississauga, has taken the tennis world by storm with a series of wins.
On Friday, Jan. 4, she defeated Williams 6-7(1), 6-1, 6-3.
Prior to her impressive win against one of the world’s best known tennis stars, the teen athlete defeated Caroline Wozniacki in another huge upset.
You can see a clip of the match with Williams, via YouTube, below:
Andreescu was ranked 152 in the world going into her match with Williams.
She will now advance to the semifinals.
BIANCA DOES IT AGAIN!— Tennis Canada (@TennisCanada) January 4, 2019
A day following her upset of Caroline Wozniacki, @Bandreescu_ defeats the legendary Venus Williams 6-7(1), 6-1, 6-3 to reach her first WTA semi-final.
This is huge. #BiancaRising #GoCanada pic.twitter.com/9uidUA2mnO
Cover photo courtesy of Andreescu’s official Instagram account
- Mississauga Female Tennis Player Makes it to Finals in New Zealand
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu Wins Rogers Cup After Serena Williams Retires from Match
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu to Face Serena Williams in Rogers Cup Finals
- 18-Year-Old Mississauga Tennis Star Advances in Australian Open
- Bianca Andreescu forced to withdraw from tournament due to injury